Members

Central American Bank for Economic Integration

The Central American Bank for Economic Integration (CABEI) is a multilateral financial institution founded on December 13, 1960 to promote the economic integration and balanced economic and social development of its founding countries.

CABEI´s founding member countries are Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua and Costa Rica. Its non-regional members include Mexico, the Republic of China (Taiwan), Argentina, Colombia and Spain. Subsequently, Panama and the Dominican Republic joined as non-founding regional members, and Belize also joined as a non-founding beneficiary member.

As a regional financial organization, CABEI provides financing to the public and private sectors and is specialized in attracting and channelling external resources, complementary and additional to those provided by other sources, to promote investment and development opportunities in its sphere of influence.

From 1960 to the present, the Bank has disbursed US$21 billion in financing for the region’s development. Of that amount, close to 70% has been channelled to the Central American public sector with the remaining 30% going to the private sector, including the financial sector, which in turn provides financial services to the micro, small and medium enterprise (MSME) sector, the productive sectors and other mainstays of regional development.

Activities in Beneficiary Member Countries:

Financial Services:

  • Trust Services
  • Trade Finance
  • Financial Intermediation
  • Carbon Credits

Key figures 2013:

Total assets (2013): USD 7537 million
Net profit (2013): USD 118.1 million
Total Commitments (2013): USD 1,360 million
Lending Portfolio: USD 5.2 billion
Disbursements: USD 1.44 billion
(all figures in USD)
 
Back